Lingo question - what does your utility call the mode you put a device into, to perform line work or switching?

Lingo question - what does your utility call the mode you put a device into, to perform line work or switching?


We stick with the hot line tag, and that’s what it shows up for at local dispatch as well


Ok cool. Are you a muni, coop, or IOU?


What do you mean by IOU?


Investor owned.


Yep, as others said. Fully abbreviates Investor Owned Utility.


That’s the one. I’m an outside contractor for one


>Investor owned utility


In Ontario Canada we call it a hold-off. This essentially means blocking the 79 (reclose) function on a relay.


Thanks for the reply!


I felt like I was losing my mind until I saw this. Thought it was universal


Where I am (UK) the closest thing we have is a Local/Remote switch, so the operator in front of the switchgear knows no one else will be able to operate it. That, and padlocks. Lots of padlocks. Saying that though generally switching is done remotely wherever possible, for safety. Edit: Doi, I just remembered that a lot of switchgear will also have an Auto Reclose switch. And to add on the locks, we have both universal ones (just to make you stop and think before you do stuff) and unique ones, and the AP (Authorised Person, the guy switching) will allso have a few unique ones of their own to lock off switches for isolation or earths. Then there's paperwork, of course. I think perhaps the biggest difference between the UK and the US is variety of equipment. I've heard that in each region in the US you tend to see almost exactly the same stuff, whereas in the UK each substation is unique, even when built by the same people. It can be pretty damn confusing sometimes, but it rarely gets boring.


Even among different utilities served by the TVA, there's a lot of the same nicknames for things and similarity in design.


*From NJ* We deal with Switching Controls (Yellow tag - call dispatcher before operating) and Clearance Controls (Red tag - do not operate). Lots of times in our switching when testing a breaker for instance, we’ll have a step to turn the Auto-Reclosing Cutoff Switch to the Off position. Is this what you’re referring to?


Don’t they use a blue tag too for in-test? Or am I thinking of a different utility


I haven’t heard of using blue tags, no. The utility I work for only uses yellow and red.


My utility uses blue tags. It gives clearance holder permission to operate devices or apply test voltage to equipment within the clearance area. For example, doing a CPT test on a breaker. Red tags prohibit any operation of any device in the clearance area. Green tags denote special conditions. Contact system operations before operating the device.


Yes. No nickname for it, it's just called what it is. I like the distinction between switching control vs. clearance control.


We called it a one hitter or one hit.


We hear "one shot" quite a bit.


I work for a public utility in the Pacific Northwest we put our 43 (supervisory) to non-close and the 79 to non-auto, we call it a Hot Line Hold. We do the same in transmission and distribution.


A-switch and G-switch (Auto and Ground), from what I've seen, come from older electromechanical schemes where you're cutting out the "ground" or "auto" relay. I've seen those terms hang around a lot. I've dealt mostly with SEL, so "Hot Line Tag" is the norm, but some customers have been more specific with "Disable reclosing and enable lowset inst". Then there's similar ideas into industrial with too many names: "Maintenance Mode", "Arc Flash Maintenance Mode", "Reduced Energy Let-Through", etc.


So when we switch a breaker out we put the 43 or reclosing switch to manual, open the breaker, then out the 43 to off position.


So it's referred to by IEEE number (manual selector). Good enough. I can't for the life of me figure out what the "A" in "A-switch" stood for, unless it was Autoreclose.


IOU here, we just call it removing reclosing


Northeast here, we call it Supervisory On-Off. Enables or disables scada control. If the breaker is opened locally via control switch it disables reclosing anyway. Hot line tag is something else, at least for us. It’s used when crews are working on the line, so it disables reclosing and enables a lower instantaneous element. Only used in distribution though.


Yes we have Supervisory as well, the term for "non-reclosing-and-low-set-instantaneous" is referred to as the "A-switch". It was literally an Electroswitch selector switch in the electromechanical days. It was either "normal" or "off". Sounds like, from reading all the responses, that "A-switch" is a TVA area term. No one else has responded that they call "non-reclosing-and-sensitive-trip" the A-switch.


Just realized I read your post completely wrong. Yep same thing for hot line tag. I can ask our TVA/AEP guy if he’s seen anywhere else that uses A-switch.


In California we have switches for relay and feature cut outs. For example reclosing cut in/cut out or ground protection cut in/cut out switch.


Hot line tag/No-Test Orders